I enjoy communicating through the written word. I write everyday; whether it be for academic purposes or not. I find inspiration for both of these forms of writing everywhere. I would like to share my inspiration and writing with you.

Nov 9, 2010

A Communications Assignment

 
“You are a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services.  You have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service.  One of your employees, who has been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and you have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers.  In addition, this employee has displayed confrontational behavior which has created a hostile environment.  You must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.”

The following steps are how I would handle the situation presented for this assignment.

Step 1 - Notification: I would notify the employee in question that we will be having a meeting.  I would give twenty-four hours notice before the meeting.

Step 2 - Problem:  I would thank the employee for coming to the meeting and ask them how they are doing, and how their day has been.  After the brief small talk I would thank them for their long service with the company and point one or two of their strong on the job skills.
      I would then notify them that while they exhibit several positive job skills it has come to my attention that their overall performance has been suffering.  It has been suffering in terms of coworker and customer relations, as well as conflict management leading to an overall decline in their performance.  

Step 3 – Listening & Point of View:  I would ask them if they could describe any reason why these areas are declining.  If they do have reasons I would listen and give an empathetic answer.  If they simple say “I do not know” or something to that affect I would simply give an “okay” answer.  Regardless of their answer I would let them know that the situation needs to take a more positive direction leading to improvement in these areas.

Step 4 – Resolving the Problem:  I would ask them how they would like to change the situation and head down the path of positive change.  I would take their answers into consideration.  I would also let them know my ideas of how to change the situation, such as: trying to be more empathetic with coworkers and customers, being an active listener to both coworkers and customers, and taking a few days off; rest is a positive start to change.  I would hope that we could come to a compromise that satisfies both of us.

Step 5 – Follow up to the Solution:  I would also let them know that I am confident in their ability to change and resume a non-confrontational positive attitude in the work place.  I am so confident in their ability to change that I am looking forward to coming together with them in two weeks time to discuss their improvements.  I know that they will improve, or conclude that they may no longer be suited for the position and take necessary action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive Inspiration

Positive inspiration can be found in those we encounter. It can be found in their eyes, heard in their stories, and seen in their faces. Michael J. Fox is one such person that inspires countless people. The following peek into his book and life is just a fragment of inspiration that this man exudes.


At the turn from our bedroom into the hallway, there is an old full-length mirror in a wooden frame. I can't help but catch a glimpse of myself as I pass. Turning fully toward the glass, I consider what I see. This reflected version of myself, wet, shaking, rumpled, pinched and slightly stooped, would be alarming we...re it not for the self-satisfied expression pasted across my face. I would ask the obvious question, "What are you smiling about?" but I already know the answer: "It just gets better from here." - Michael J. Fox (from his book Always Looking Up)

_______________________________________________________

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." - Malcolm Forbes